Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Challenges of the Morning Routine

Life has been challenging over the past week or so. Jared has been a challenge on a daily basis in terms of motivating him to transition to the things that I need him to transition to. Like this morning for example, I woke him up later than usual at 7 am. I know that sounds early but both my husband and I work and we take the kids to the YMCA day camp which actually is good for Jared, I think, it gets him away from the computer and TV and gets him socializing with other children which is tough for him. Anyways, I asked him what he wanted for breakfast and he said nothing. Well, he has to eat something because he takes Ritalin for his ADHD and the Ritalin suppresses his appetite, so if he doesn't eat a good breakfast, he pretty much doesn't eat for the day. When I tried to explain that he needed to eat something, he became even more obstinate about it. Everything seems to be a struggle and it really is draining and the worst part about it is, as he gets older and his behavior doesn't mesh with his age, people just think he is a defiant and a behavioral problem which is really frustrating because I think my husband and I are viewed as push overs which I know we are not. It's all very draining for me and I wonder what the teen years will be like.

3 comments:

Kerry said...

Laura, don't ask him what he wants for breakfast. You know what he likes - just prepare it for him. It knocks out the fact that he has to make a decision. If he doesn't like what you have given him, then give him a choice of one or two things, the next day. It narrows his decision making.

Everything is a struggle (no matter what the age) however if you give one or two options with all things it becomes easier. As I have mentioned to you the teen years DO become a bit easier on the basic learning skills, however EVERY opportunity creates a potential mine field, simply because there are too many choices available and they are scared to make the wrong decision.

Laura said...

Thanks!!

dawn said...

You just wrote my life of late. Thank God I'm bot the only one going through this right now. Thank you SO much for sharing!