Monday, August 17, 2009

Timers are a Mom's Best Friend

Well, we ventured off to the Erie County Fair again yesterday with my parents. We arrived at about 2:00 pm. The first stop, of course, was the playground and instead of telling Jared that I didn't want him and Nathan to go on the playground because I knew a battle would probably ensue and then I'd spend about a half hour dragging the boys off the playground and getting into a sour mood, I decided to give Jared 5 minutes to play on the playground. I showed him the time on my cell phone that read 2:36 pm and told him that when my cell phone read 2:41 pm we would be moving onto something else with Grandma and Grandpa, and it was a success. At 2:41 pm, I told the boys it was 2:41 and we were done with the playground and Jared came right off (with Nathan) of the jungle gym and transitioned to the next thing with ease.

Sometimes it's hard for me to remember about the timer. I use it with his homework when he doesn't want to do it and it is a success with that as well. I set it for an hour and tell him he needs to work on his homework and when it goes off if he has homework left undone, then he immediately goes to bed. If it is finished he can wrap up the night with his favorite cartoon.

One of the more difficult things for Jared to do is transitioning and timers are a great tool!

3 comments:

dawn said...

I need to give timers more of a chance. I forget too. Of course, if my son has access to the timer he sometimes throws it across the room...so first I'd better get him to respect the timer, I suppose. It did work when I was telling him when I had to leave his bedroom last night and would leave when the last number on his clock was "2"

Laura said...

Yeah, if my son has access to the timer he stops the timer. So, I keep it or am near him so that he doesn't change it. They definately need very specefic expectations. It works the best when the clearly understand expectations or the expectations are very very specefic. At least that's been my experience.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am reading and really enjoyed your blog. My 6 yr old boy just got diagnosed with PPD-NOS (mild autism) and ADHD. We have recently had lots of luck with incorporating daily "heavy work" exercises into his daily schedule, which is exercises using the major muscle groups and requiring some force, like jumping, pushing toys, climbing, crashing into a soft couch or pile of pillows, etc. That really helps calm his sensory issues and the hyperactivity. Afterwards, he is not bouncing off the walls, running around touching things obsessively.
The second thing that really seems to be working is giving him about 150-250 mg of magnesium in the morning. (I crush it up and put it in applesauce or sugar free chocolate pudding). It calms the nervous behavior, and he seems happier, actually, and is not so combative. (I can actually get him to listen when I say no or give directions, and even to do some chores!)
The daily RDA for magnesium is 50-250 mg, so it is safe to give him that much, and since he generally won't eat vegetables, also reduces constipation that he sometimes struggles with.
I have been given a prescription for a stimulant and feel worried about going that route just yet as he is so young.

I hope these tips may help with anyone's little ones that may have similar issues to mine. He is a wonderful, super smart and sweet little boy.